This bridge is important, just as its near-twin the Philadelphia and Reading Railroad Bridge is. The two bridges are together important since they offer an easy way to see how two railroads that competed with each other approached the problems associated with bridge construction.
This bridge, much like its nearby neighbor, replaced a metal truss bridge that sat on stone piers. The existing bridge's concrete piers encase these original stone abutments. Construction of the Cumberland Valley Railroad Bridge was accomplished by the use of extensive falsework during the process. Construction was briefly interrupted when a flood destroyed part of this falsework.
Although abandoned for rail use over the past several decades, the bridge is poised to be the principal crossing for the Corridor One rail commuter system to serve the renewed rail needs of the metropolitan area and of Harrisburg's west shore.
This was the fifth bridge at this location. The first was a Town truss double-deck wooden bridge built in January 16, 1939. Inside the lower level was a two-lane roadway, and the roof was for the railroad.
In 1887, an iron bridge replaced the wooden bridge, and in 1916 this concrete arch bridge was built.