Allegheny Street Bridge
Allegheny St Dauphin
Notice abutment on left between Allegheny and 322/22
License: Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY)
BH Photo #229904
FROM THE 1996-2001 PENNSYLVANIA HISTORIC BRIDGE SURVEY:
The bridge carries a 2 lane highway with a center median and a sidewalk over a stream in a mixed use commercial and residential setting at the southeast end of the borough of Dauphin. At the northern quadrant is a late 20th century restaurant. Downstream of the bridge is an entrance ramp to US 22 carried over the stream on a separate structure. Upstream of the bridge is a ca. 1875 stone arch bridge carrying the old alignment of US 22, now SR 225 (BMS# 22022500100255). The setting does not have the cohesiveness or integrity of a historic district, and the bridge is well beyond the older town center.
The single span, 50'-long, reinforced concrete deck arch bridge is supported on concrete abutments with flared wingwalls. The bridge is finished with metal railings and concrete posts. The plain arch bridge is a standard design of the state highway department with no unusual or noteworthy features. The bridge was constructed in 1941 as part of the project to realign and widen US 22. The project was a typical state highway improvement built to bypass the old route that was carried on the stone arch upstream. It is not a historic road. The bridge is not historically or technologically distinguished by its setting or context.
- Concrete arch bridge over Stony Creek on Allegheny Street in Dauphin
- Dauphin County, Pennsylvania
- Open to traffic
- Built 1942
Span length: 49.9 ft.
Total length: 49.9 ft.
Deck width: 49.9 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.36500, -76.92833 (decimal degrees)
40°21'54" N, 76°55'42" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/336272/4470054 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Harrisburg West
- Average daily traffic (as of 2011)
- Inventory numbers
- PA 22 7402 0301 4001 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
PANBI 14159 (Pennsylvania BRKEY bridge number on the 2011 NBI)
BH 30823 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of June 2017)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 88.8 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- April 15, 2012: Updated by Jodi Christman: Added description
- January 7, 2012: New Street View added by Jodi Christman