Powell Creek Bridge
East side looking south
Photo taken by Jodi Christman 05/11/2012
BH Photo #231965
The Wiconisco Canal ran from the east end of the Clark's Ferry Bridge northward to Millersburg on the east bank of the Susquehanna River. Aqueduct #3 was completed in 1840, but did not carry water or freight until the completion of the canal by a private company in 1844. A flood in 1889 destroyed much of the canal, and it was closed in 1890. Some time after, the aqueduct was modified for vehicle traffic.
- Three-span stone arch bridge over Powell Creek on PA 147
- Inglenook, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania
- Open to traffic
- Built 1840 as Wiconisco Canal Aqueduct No. 3
- - George Mish & Co.
- Pennsylvania Canal Co.
- Stone arch
Length of largest span: 24.0 ft.
Total length: 80.1 ft.
Deck width: 58.7 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on June 22, 1988
- Also called
- Wisconisco Canal Aqueduct No. 3
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.40979, -76.98413 (decimal degrees)
40°24'35" N, 76°59'03" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/331646/4475131 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2018)
- Inventory numbers
- PA 22 0147 0040 1898 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
PANBI 14291 (Pennsylvania BRKEY bridge number on the 2011 NBI)
NRHP 88000823 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
BH 30839 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of April 2018)
- Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 64.8 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- January 4, 2021: Updated by Chester Gehman: Added description and builder; corrected completion date to 1840, not 1860.
- March 3, 2014: Photo imported by Dave King
- April 13, 2012: Updated by Jodi Christman: Added builder and NR # and year
- April 9, 2012: Updated by Jodi Christman: Corrected GPS
- Jodi Christman - masterofchaos [at] outlook [dot] com
- Chester Gehman - gehmanc2000 [at] yahoo [dot] com