2 votes

Peiffers Mill Bridge


Facing north

Photo taken by Jodi Christman


BH Photo #176401



FROM THE 1996-2001 PENNSYLVANIA HISTORIC BRIDGE SURVEY: The 2-span, 136'-long, reinforced concrete, shallow elliptical arch bridge is supported on concrete abutments and pargetted bullnose pier with pilaster forming the parapet post at midspan. The intrados and spandrel walls have large spalls that have been patched with shotcrete. The paneled parapets have been cutdown to one-half their original height, and have been removed completely from the wingwalls. Loss of the railings is a significant alteration. Built in 1909 by the Ferro Concrete Co., the bridge is one of at least eight identified reinforced concrete arch highway bridges from 1909 to 1918 in Cumberland County, and one of over 270 pre-1920 examples statewide. Other less altered examples better represent the historical and technological significance of the early application of the reinforced concrete arch bridge technology in the county context (e.g. 21001100101523 & 21721305464014, the former built by the Ferro Concrete Co. in 1911).


Concrete arch bridge over Conodoguinet Creek on SR 4007
Cumberland County, Pennsylvania
Open to traffic
Built 1909
Closed-spandrel concrete arch, elliptical deck
Length of largest span: 62.0 ft.
Total length: 136.2 ft.
Deck width: 13.5 ft.
Also called
Mountain Road Bridge
Approximate latitude, longitude
+40.15139, -77.50056   (decimal degrees)
40°09'05" N, 77°30'02" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
18/287013/4447558 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Average daily traffic (as of 2018)
Inventory numbers
PA 21 4007 0010 1302 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
PANBI 13957 (Pennsylvania BRKEY bridge number on the 2011 NBI)
BH 46071 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
Inspection report (as of January 2018)
Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 61.7 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com

Update Log 

  • December 26, 2011: Updated by Jodi Christman: Added description and details on design
  • September 6, 2010: Added by Jodi Christman