Quigleys Twin Bridges #1 (east)
Quigleys Twin Bridges
These two bridges are named after Robert Quigley who lived nearby in Hopewell Township. The bridges carried Route 641 which was a road commonly used to take folks from Carlisle to Fort Littleton, and crossed the Conodoguinet Creek and a millrace. A petition for the bridge occurred in April 1815 and the contract was awarded on 1816. Two mishaps occurred in the contracting with two separate contractors who were contracted to build a stone bridge. In September 1822 the commissioners then awarded Jacob Bishop to build two wooden bridges—one over the creek and a second over the millrace. The bridges were built and inspected on September 27, 1824.
This bridge is known as #1 span bridge and is smaller in size because it crossed from the island over a narrow channel of water. Bishop’s original plan for the second bridge was to not cover it. Length 88’8”; Width 18’; Height 10’10” By 1834 it had to be rebuilt. Joseph Smith was given the job and he put a roof on the newer construction. In 1860 the bridge needed replaced again. This time the contract was given to John Gutshall. This bridge survived into the mid twentieth century.
SOURCE: Author Paul E. Gill "...Drive the Road and Bridge the Ford...": Highway Bridges of Nineteenth Century Cumberland County.
- Lost Burr arch-truss bridge over Conodoquinet Creek on 641 Grn Springs Rd
- Cumberland County, Pennsylvania
- Replaced by new bridge
- Replaced 1948
- - Jacob Bishop
- Burr arch-truss
Span length: 888.0 ft.
Total length: 888.0 ft.
Deck width: 18.0 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 1,010.0 ft.
- Also called
- Quigleys Bridge
Quigley's Twin Bridges
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.14410, -77.51536 (decimal degrees)
40°08'39" N, 77°30'55" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/285729/4446784 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 52127 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- April 21, 2012: Added by Jodi Christman