Quigleys Twin Bridges #1 (west) 38-21-16x
Quigleys Twin Bridges
These two bridges are named after Robert Quigley who lived nearby in Hopewell Township. The bridges carried Route 641 which was a road commonly used to take folks from Carlisle to Fort Littleton, and crossed the Conodoguinet Creek and a millrace. A petition for the bridge occurred in April 1815 and the contract was awarded on 1816. Two mishaps occurred in the contracting with two separate contractors who were contracted to build a stone bridge. In September 1822 the commissioners then awarded Jacob Bishop to build two wooden bridges—one over the creek and a second over the millrace. The bridges were built and inspected on September 27, 1824.
This bridge is known as the #2 span bridge and is the longer bridge as it crosses the creek to an island. It is a Burr arch truss. Length 175’8”; Width 16’10”; Height 14’8” In 1856 the bridge was rebuilt due to a flood. This bridge survived into the mid twentieth century.
SOURCE: Author Paul E. Gill "...Drive the Road and Bridge the Ford...": Highway Bridges of Nineteenth Century Cumberland County.
- Lost Burr arch-truss bridge over Conodoquinet Creek on Pa 641;Sr 0641 (Newville Road)
- Cumberland County, Pennsylvania
- Replaced by new bridge
- Built in 1824 by Jacob Bishop
- - Jacob Bishop
- Burr arch-truss
Span length: 175.8 ft.
Total length: 175.8 ft.
Deck width: 16.1 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 14.8 ft.
- Also called
- Quigleys Bridge
Quigley's Twin Bridges
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.14407, -77.51567 (decimal degrees)
40°08'39" N, 77°30'56" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/285703/4446781 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory numbers
- WGCB 38-21-16x (World Guide to Covered Bridges number)
BH 52090 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- April 21, 2012: Updated by Jodi Christman: Updated many details
- April 18, 2012: Updated by Jodi Christman: Added category "Wooden deck"