Photo taken by Jodi Christman on 2/26/2011
BH Photo #194315
FROM THE 1996-2001 PENNSYLVANIA HISTORIC BRIDGE SURVEY:
The one-span, 134'-long, pin-connected Pratt thru truss bridge has members composed of standard built-up sections and eyebars. The bridge retains its original lattice railings and is supported on stone abutments. Open steel grid deck and steel stringers were placed ca. 1960. The bridge was fabricated in 1899 by the Pittsburgh Bridge Co. and erected by their agents, Nelson & Buchanan of Chambersburg. It is historically and technologically significant as a complete example of the popular Pratt truss design that dominated metal truss highway bridge construction in the late 19th century. The bridge has significance as one of five extant truss highway bridges from 1889 to 1899 in Cumberland County, and one of three Pratt truss bridges. The bridge documents the work of a regionally important metal truss bridge fabricator and builder.
- Through truss bridge over Yellow Breeches Creek on Craighead Bridge Road (TR 520)
- Cumberland County, Pennsylvania
- Bridge work will be coordinated by the locals.
- Future prospects
- Ownership Transferred 5/10/2017 to NSRGA / Workin' Bridges.
- Built 1899; rehabilitated ca. 1960
- - Nelson & Buchanan Co. of Chambersburg & Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Pittsburgh Bridge Co. of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Pratt through truss
Span length: 133.9 ft.
Total length: 133.9 ft.
Deck width: 16.9 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.14711, -77.17260 (decimal degrees)
40°08'50" N, 77°10'21" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/314938/4446347 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2015)
- Inventory numbers
- PA 21 7213 0520 3818 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
PANBI 14097 (Pennsylvania BRKEY bridge number on the 2011 NBI)
BH 30812 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of October 2015)
- Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Critical (2 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Critical (2 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Serious (3 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 8.1 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- January 5, 2018: Updated by Christopher Finigan: Added category "Pin-connected"
- May 10, 2017: Updated by Julie Bowers: Under New Owner (I think I have a problem) (lol) (we're looking for bridges in every state and we need local input.
- July 23, 2013: Updated by Luke Harden: Closed
- March 30, 2013: Updated by Nathan Holth: This bridge is now doomed.
- March 8, 2013: Updated by Luke Harden: Corrected builder. Pittsburgh Bridge Co. was missing the "h"
- December 26, 2011: Updated by Jodi Christman: Added description note
- November 3, 2011: Updated by Nathan Holth: This bridge is now doomed.
- February 26, 2011: New photos from Jodi Christman
- January 8, 2011: New Street View added by Jodi Christman