West Branch Susquehanna River Bridge
Photo taken by Jodi Christman on May 19, 2011
BH Photo #199564
FROM THE 1996-2001 PENNSYLVANIA HISTORIC BRIDGE SURVEY:
"The bridge carries a 2 lane road and 1 sidewalk over the West Branch of the Susquehanna River at the intersection of SR 970 and SR 879. Crossing the river just west of the bridge is a Conrail (former NY Central) deck girder bridge. A large power plant is at the southwest quadrant. At the east quadrants are a convenience store and a vacant lot The modern setting does not have historic district potential. The 1937, skewed, 2 span, 340'-long, rivet-connected Pratt thru truss bridge is supported on concrete abutments with flared wingwalls and a concrete pier. The upper chords, lower chords, and verticals in the end panels are built up. The diagonals and other verticals are rolled I sections. It is an undistinguished example of a state highway department standard design, rivet-connected truss bridges that were used with great frequency beginning in the 1920s. It has no innovative or distinctive details, and it is not historically or technologically distinguished by its setting or context. More than 350 Pratt truss bridges from the 1870s to the 1950s have been identified, with approximately 140 of that number standardized examples from after 1925."
- Through truss bridge over West Branch Susquehanna River on PA 970 (Shawville Highway)
- Clearfield County, Pennsylvania
- Replaced by a new bridge in 2015
- Built 1937; rehabilitated 1972
- - C.G. Thompson
- Metal Riveted Pratt Through Truss
Length of largest span: 163.1 ft.
Total length: 339.9 ft.
Deck width: 20.0 ft.
- Also called
- Shawville Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.06833, -78.36083 (decimal degrees)
41°04'06" N, 78°21'39" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/721739/4549699 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Lecontes Mills
- Average daily traffic (as of 2014)
- Inventory numbers
- PA 17 0970 0112 0817 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
PANBI 11628 (Pennsylvania BRKEY bridge number on the 2011 NBI)
BH 47513 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of March 2013)
- Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 46.8 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- July 26, 2016: Updated by Nathan Holth: This bridge has been demolished and replaced.
- July 8, 2013: Updated by Nathan Holth: This bridge is now doomed.
- May 23, 2011: Updated by Jodi Christman: Added description
- May 22, 2011: New photos from Jodi Christman
- January 9, 2011: New Street View added by David Backlin
- January 9, 2011: Updated by Jodi Christman: Stated it was a Pony, by Google Maps you can clearly see it's a Through Truss
- January 3, 2011: Added by Jodi Christman