CR - Clarion Trestle
South side of span looking across the Clarion River
Photo taken by Brian Manville in July 2016
BH Photo #366383
Abandoned - Clarion Trestle
Video of bridge taken by a GoPro Phantom 3 drone in 2015
Play video on YouTube
The bridge is located in Monroe Township south of Clarion with one access to the bridge from Piney Dam Road and climbing a hill and walking about 1/2 mile through a tunnel. This is how my son and I got to the bridge. There is also supposedly access off SR 4001 on the north side. There is debris to climb over on the south side of the south tunnel but then the ground is flat. A flashlight would be a good idea when going through the tunnel.
This bridge is part of an abandoned railroad line. The railroad line this bridge served enters long tunnels on both ends of the bridge. This bridge is a very impressive high level bridge with very large pin-connected deck truss spans, supported by riveted steel bents, which in turn rest on concrete. The concrete substructure bears the date 1928. HistoricBridges.org currently lists this as the construction date for the bridge. However it is possible that the deck truss superstructure is older. The truss spans have a somewhat older and more lightweight appearance than the bents which support them.
Unless you have a drone or come to the bridge from the Clarion River, sight lines for the sides of the bridge are limited.
The truss spans may be older than they appear. The bridge was designed to accommodate two tracks, however at the time it was abandoned, the bridge was decked for only one track.
(Some information courtesy of HistoricBridges.com)
- Baltimore deck truss bridge over Clarion River on Conrail
- Clarion County, Pennsylvania
- Intact but closed to all traffic
- Built 1908 by King Bridge Co.
- - Albert Lucius of New York City, New York
- King Bridge Co. of Cleveland, Ohio
- - Conrail (CR)
- Franklin & Clearfield Railroad (F&C)
- Jamestown, Franklin & Clearfield Railroad (JF&C)
- New York Central Railroad (NYC)
- Penn Central Railroad (PC)
- Steel 10 Panel, Pin-Connected Baltimore Deck Truss, Fixed
Length of largest span: 270.0 ft.
Total length: 845.0 ft.
- Also called
- PC - Clarion Trestle
Clarion Secondary Railroad Bridge
NYC - Clarion Trestle
JF&C - Clarion Trestle
F&C - Clarion Trestle
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.18200, -79.45639 (decimal degrees)
41°10'55" N, 79°27'23" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/629464/4560109 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 73987 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- May 21, 2021: New photo from Geoff Hubbs
- May 19, 2021: New photo from Geoff Hubbs
- January 9, 2020: New photo from Geoff Hubbs
- June 14, 2017: Updated by Luke: Added build date and builder
- June 13, 2017: New Street View added by Luke
- June 13, 2017: Updated by Fmiser: cleaned up categories
- October 2, 2016: New video from Brian Manville