Larimer Avenue Bridge
At the time of its construction, the bridge was the world's longest reinforced concrete arch span. The bridge was part of a large public works program in Pittsburgh responding to several reports critical of the city's civic and transportation infrastructure. Details of the bridge's construction provide valuable insights into the use of reinforced concrete, still a relatively new material when the bridge was completed.
- Historic American Engineering Record
- Open-spandrel arch bridge over Washington Blvd. on Larimer Avenue in Pittsburgh
- Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania
- Open to traffic
- Future prospects
- Slated for demolition and replacement. City actively seeking demolition funds.
- Built 1912; rehabilitated 1981
- - John A. Ferguson (Designer)
- John F. Casey Co. of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (Contractor)
- Open-spandrel arch
Length of largest span: 299.9 ft.
Total length: 547.9 ft.
Deck width: 29.9 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.46667, -79.90833 (decimal degrees)
40°28'00" N, 79°54'30" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/592547/4480127 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Pittsburgh East
- Average daily traffic (as of 2009)
- Inventory numbers
- PA 02 7301 0000 3047 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
PANBI 02419 (Pennsylvania BRKEY bridge number on the 2011 NBI)
BH 30261 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of August 2017)
- Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 49.9 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- April 23, 2021: New photo from Geoff Hubbs
- March 25, 2021: New photo from Josh Schmid
- January 18, 2017: New photo from Dave King
- January 7, 2016: Updated by Nathan Holth: This bridge is now doomed.
- April 18, 2009: Posted HAER photos
- HAER PA-488 - Larimer Avenue Bridge, Spanning Washington Boulevard at Larimer Avenue (State Route 8), Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, PA
- James Baughn - webmaster [at] bridgehunter [dot] com
- Todd Wilson
- Nathan Holth
- Historicbridges.org - by Nathan Holth
- Dave King - DKinghawkfan [at] hotmail [dot] com
- Josh Schmid
- Geoff Hubbs