Rating:
1 vote

Wm. Forsythe Stone Culvert

Photos 

PA-592-52

View west of the culvert

Photo by Joseph Elliott, Summer-Fall 1999, for HAER

View photos at Library of Congress

BH Photo #222479

Map 

Street View 

Description 

HAER SIGNIFIGANCE: The Lincoln Highway was the first transcontinental automobile route linking the east and west coasts of the United States. As designated by the Lincoln Highway Association in 1913, the highway was initially no more than a concept that combined existing roads into an approximately 3,389-mile route across the country. As a concept, the highway reflected long-established desires in the American psyche to unify the eastern and western portions of the country. Reactivation of the Lincoln Highway Association in 1992, along with a strongly expressed public interest in preservation of historic resources associated with the highway, provides evidence of a continued recognition of the highway's role in the creation of American culture. In Pennsylvania, the Lincoln Highway was primarily identified in the public mind from 1913 to about 1950 as the premiere route from Philadelphia to Pittsburgh, and only secondarily as a transcontinental highway.

Facts 

Overview
Stone culvert bridge on Old Route 30 (Lincoln Highway)
Location
Adams County, Pennsylvania
Status
Open to traffic
History
Construction started 1913, built by mason, William Forsythe
Builder
- William Forsythe
Design
Stone culvert
Approximate latitude, longitude
+39.89285, -77.39957   (decimal degrees)
39°53'34" N, 77°23'58" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
18/294843/4418621 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Caledonia Park
Inventory number
BH 50716 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Update Log 

  • December 27, 2011: Added by Jodi Christman

Sources 

Comments 

Wm. Forsythe Stone Culvert
Posted December 27, 2011, by Jodi Christman (masterofchaos [at] comcast [dot] net)

Thank you James Stewart for finding the bridge these HAER photos belong too.