Crooked Creek Road Bridge
FROM THE 1996-2001 PENNSYLVANIA HISTORIC BRIDGE SURVEY:
The one span, 68'-long, pin-connected Pratt pony truss bridge built in 1889 is supported on stone abutments. It has built up compression members, eye bar tension members, U-shaped floorbeam hangers, and built up floorbeams. Angle knee braces are placed to the inside of the verticals. Steel stringers and an open steel grid deck were placed in 1972. Plates have been welded to the floorbeams to provide a greater bearing area for the stringers. According to the state bridge card, the bridge was fabricated in 1889 by the King Bridge Co. of Cleveland, a nationally prominent bridge building firm. The bridge is a traditionally composed example of the pin-connected Pratt truss type and design that dominated highway bridge building in the last decades of the 19th century. Once common in the region, they are now increasingly rare with this being one of the two oldest identified examples from 1889 to 1896 in Adams County, and among the oldest pre-1890 pin-connected pony truss highway bridges in the region. The bridge is historically and technologically significant as an example of its type and design by an important fabricator.
- Pony truss bridge over Marsh Creek on PA 3038 (TR 310)
- Adams County, Pennsylvania
- Replaced with a slab of concrete, but sits near a sports complex in York, PA
- Built 1889 by the King Bridge Co.; rehabilitated 1972; Replaced and put in storage 2009
- - King Bridge Co. of Cleveland, Ohio
- Pratt pony truss
Span length: 68.9 ft.
Total length: 68.9 ft.
Deck width: 15.5 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.86277, -77.29360 (decimal degrees)
39°51'46" N, 77°17'37" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/303818/4415043 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2017)
- Inventory numbers
- PA 01 3038 0010 0000 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
PANBI 45501 (Pennsylvania BRKEY bridge number on the 2011 NBI)
BH 30198 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of June 2017)
- Overall condition: Good
Superstructure condition rating: Very Good (8 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 98.9 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- June 21, 2014: Updated by Luke Harden: Edited info
- December 26, 2011: Updated by Jodi Christman: Added description note
- March 21, 2011: Updated by Nathan Holth: This bridge has been demolished and replaced.