Weirmans Mill Road Bridge
Wiermans Mill Road Bridge
BH Photo #222411
FROM THE 1996-2001 PENNSYLVANIA HISTORIC BRIDGE SURVEY:
The 1 span, 93'-long, pin-connected, Pratt thru truss bridge built in 1896 is supported on stone abutments. It is composed of standard built-up section members and eye bars and has Z-shaped plate floorbeam hangers (a distinctive Pittsburgh Bridge Co. detail) and lattice portals. The timber deck was replaced by an open steel grid deck in 1960. W-beam guiderail railings have replaced earlier railings. Fabricated by the Pittsburgh Bridge Company and erected by Nelson & Buchanan of Chambersburg, the bridge is a complete example of the pin-connected Pratt truss bridge type and design that dominated highway bridge building in the late 19th century. Pin-connected truss bridges were once common in the region, but they are increasingly rare with four examples from 1889 to 1896 identified in Adams County. Of the four remaining pin-connected truss bridges, this is the only Pratt thru truss, and it was built by a noteworthy builder in the region. It is historically and technologically significant.
- Through truss bridge over Bermudian Creek on PA 1009
- Adams County, Pennsylvania
- Demolished by PennDOT and replaced with a slab of concrete.
- Built 1896 by the Pittsburgh Bridge Co. & Nelson & Buchanan
- - Nelson & Buchanan Co. of Chambersburg & Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Pittsburgh Bridge Co. of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Pratt through truss
Span length: 92.9 ft.
Total length: 92.9 ft.
Deck width: 13.7 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.97260, -77.11763 (decimal degrees)
39°58'21" N, 77°07'03" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/319160/4426863 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2017)
- Inventory numbers
- PA 01 1009 0050 0496 (Pennsylvania Bridge Management System number)
PANBI 46788 (Pennsylvania BRKEY bridge number on the 2011 NBI)
BH 30208 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of June 2017)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 97.8 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- December 26, 2011: Updated by Jodi Christman: Added description note
- July 18, 2011: Updated by Nathan Holth: This bridge has been demolished and replaced by PennDOT.