Upper Perry Arch Bridge
Upper Perry Arch Bridge
Photo taken by Michael Goff
BH Photo #179923
The Upper Perry Arch is a 312'-long bridge with a main span comprised of a 134'-long reinforced concrete rib deck arch over the Grande Ronde River, and a 175'-long concrete viaduct crossing over the Union Pacific Railroad corridor.
Decorative features include open spandrel arch with arched fascia curtain walls, bush hammered inset panels and small arched openings in the balustrade railings.
The structure was designed by Conde McCullough, and it is comparable in size and ornamentation to a number of deck arch bridges located on the Oregon Coast Highway, the Pacific Highway, and elsewhere.
(HAER OR-141 - Significance)
- Arch bridge over Grande Ronde River and U.P.R.R. on Old U.S. 30
- Perry, Union County, Oregon
- Open to traffic
- Built 1924, Rehabilitated 2008
- - Conde B. McCullough of Redfield, South Dakota (Bridge Engineer)
- Union Bridge Co. of Portland of Portland, Oregon (Contractor)
- Wildish Standard Paving Co. of Eugene, Oregon (Rehabilitation Contractor)
- - Union Pacific Railroad (UP)
- The Upper Perry Arch is a classic Conde McCullough designed reinforced concrete deck arch. The bridge is one of a few remaining McCullough spans in Eastern Oregon.
The bridge features a 134-foot main arch span with three reinfoced concrete deck girder approach spans.
Length of largest span: 134.0 ft.
Total length: 312.0 ft.
Deck width: 19.4 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Also called
- Perry Arch
Grande Ronde River Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +45.35250, -118.17056 (decimal degrees)
45°21'09" N, 118°10'14" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 11/408309/5022776 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2014)
- Inventory numbers
- OR 00626 (Oregon Dept. of Transportation structure number)
BH 46372 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of May 2016)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 61.1 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- April 8, 2018: New photos from Richard Doody
- October 1, 2010: New photos from Michael Goff
- September 29, 2010: New photo from Michael Goff
- September 28, 2010: Added by Michael Goff
- Mike Goff - michael [dot] goff [at] hotmail [dot] com
- HAER OR-141 - Grande Ronde River Bridge, Sprnning Grande Ronde River on Old Oregon Trail Highway (Oregon Route 6), La Grande vicinity, Union, OR
- Elegant Arches, Soaring Spans - Robert W. Hadlow, Oregon State University Press, 2001
- Richard Doody