Wild Horse Creek Bridge
Wild Horse Creek Bridge
Photo taken by Michael Goff in September 2011
BH Photo #212857
The Wild Horse Creek Bridge is located on an old alignment of the Oregon-Washington Highway (OR-11) on what is now called Adams Road. The bridge is located a few miles northeast of the city of Pendleton and is located in a rural farming area.
The bridge is a single span 80-foot polygonal Warren pony truss and is one of the few intact examples of a state designed and constructed steel pony truss bridge. Unlike many of the other pony truss bridges found in eastern Oregon the Wild Horse Creek Bridge remains in its original location with almost no alterations done to the structure since its 1924 construction date. Many of the other pony truss structures found throughout the state have been relocated and reconstructed on mostly rural county roads.
The Wild Horse Creek Bridge was designed by the Oregon State Highway Department under the guidance of state bridge engineer Conde B. McCullough. The bridge is a basic standard design for an 80-foot steel polygonal Warren pony truss with reinforced concrete abutments at each end. The bridge does not have any special architectural features that are found on some of the eras larger spans, but the rural setting does enhance the overall setting of the crossing. Though utilitarian in its architectural treatment, the bridge still remains an excellent example of early 20th century pony truss technology.
- Polygonal Warren pony truss bridge over Wild Horse Creek on Adams Road
- Umatilla County, Oregon
- Open to traffic
- Built 1924
- Polygonal Warren pony truss
Length of largest span: 80.1 ft.
Total length: 82.0 ft.
Deck width: 19.0 ft.
- Also called
- Adams Road Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +45.70417, -118.71444 (decimal degrees)
45°42'15" N, 118°42'52" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 11/366541/5062608 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2010)
- Inventory numbers
- ORNBI 59C356097300259 (Oregon bridge number on the National Bridge Inventory)
BH 30140 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of October 2017)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 60.9 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- April 3, 2013: New Street View added by Mike Goff
- Mike Goff - michael [dot] goff [at] hotmail [dot] com