Earnest Covered Bridge 37-20-35
Earnest Covered Bridge
from the southwest
Photo taken by Michael Goff on July 19, 2009
BH Photo #143073
The Earnest Bridge enjoys the distinction of having appeared in the movie Shenandoah, filmed in the Mohawk Valley during the mid-1960s. The movie company requested permission from the county to "alter" the bridge to reflect Civil War architecture, and promised to restore the bridge to equal or better condition. The promise was kept, and the span received new siding and paint in 1965.
The original covered bridge at this site, an 83 foot structure called the Adams Bridge, was erected by A.C.Striker in 1903. When it was replaced in 1938 by Lane County, the $2,449 cost included $72 for wrecking the old bridge.
The new bridge with upper chord dimensions of 12" x 12" x 50 feet and lower dimensions of 12" x 14" x 81.5 feet, was named after longtime residents of the area.
(Reference: Roofs Over Rivers, by Bill and Nick Cockrell)
- Covered Howe through truss bridge over Mohawk River on Paschelke Road
- Lane County, Oregon
- Open to traffic
- Built 1938
- - A.C. Striker (County Bridge Superintendent)
- Covered Howe through truss
Length of largest span: 75.1 ft.
Total length: 137.1 ft.
Deck width: 15.4 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 13.9 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 29, 1979
- Also called
- Paschelke Road Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +44.20111, -122.83583 (decimal degrees)
44°12'04" N, 122°50'09" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 10/513117/4894223 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2010)
- Inventory numbers
- WGCB 37-20-35 (World Guide to Covered Bridges number)
NRHP 79002094 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
ORNBI 39C176198000004 (Oregon bridge number on the National Bridge Inventory)
BH 30049 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of August 2018)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 45.9 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- April 11, 2018: New photos from Richard Doody
- April 9, 2018: New photos from Richard Doody
- March 10, 2014: Updated by Dave King: Added NRHP date & imported photos
- April 21, 2010: New Street View added by Michael Goff
- July 20, 2009: New photos from Michael Goff