No votes cast

7th Street Bridge


Photo taken by John Bernhisel in June 2017


BH Photo #393512


Parallels the much more famous Cave Man Bridge


Steel plate girder bridge over Rogue River on US-199 NB (7th Street)
Grants Pass, Josephine County, Oregon
Open to traffic
Built 1960
Deck plate girder
Length of largest span: 180.1 ft.
Total length: 605.0 ft.
Deck width: 29.9 ft.
Also called
Rogue River Bridge
Approximate latitude, longitude
+42.43017, -123.33013   (decimal degrees)
42°25'49" N, 123°19'48" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
10/472844/4697591 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Grants Pass
Average daily traffic (as of 2017)
Inventory numbers
OR 08432 (Oregon Dept. of Transportation structure number)
BH 77563 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
Inspection report (as of August 2018)
Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 57.1 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com

Update Log 

  • June 7, 2017: Added by John Bernhisel


  • John Bernhisel - Johnmbernhisel [at] gmail [dot] com


7th Street Bridge - Year Built
Posted April 3, 2020, by Mike Goff (michael [dot] goff [at] hotmail [dot] com)

This comment is almost a year late on the subject, but I guess better late than never.

The bridge was completed in 1960. The plans were put together in 1957 and 1958 per ODOT records.

The "Picket Fence" rail was called out on the plans based on a 1954 standard drawing. So Kirk was correct in the fact that the rail was from the dates he stated, just not the actual construction date. With that said, there is a chance that the 7th Street Bridge was the last bridge with the "picket fence" rail type built in Oregon.

Rogue River Bridge
Posted May 16, 2019, by Kirk J Poole (kjpportland [at] gmail [dot] com)

Build date of 1960 appears too late for the 'picket fence' handrail type which was used only until 1955-1956. This bridge appears to be built between 1945 and 1956.