The original bridge at this site was built in the 1870s along the Overland Stage Route, as Drain was an important junction which linked the Willamette Valley and Jacksonville. An 1895 era photograph shows the wagon bridge and adjacent railroad bridge, both being covered. The wooden rail span was replaced soon after.
Old timers recall the Pass Creek Bridge provided excitement when a horse-drawn wagon crashed through the floor around 1920 while hauling supplies for a Thanksgiving turkey shoot. Although the wagon dropped below the decking, the only casualties were the words uttered by the driver, the drowning of turkeys and splashing of supplies into the creek.
It is probable the covered wagon bridge at this location was either rebuilt or replaced in 1925, displacing the earlier span. Holes in the lower chords indicate that it may have been salvaged from another bridge.
Today a concrete bridge now crosses Pass Creek where the old wooden structure once rested. In the fall of 1987, after the roof and siding of the covered bridge were removed, a 90-ton crane lifted the trusses and moved them one block away where the structure was reassembled the following year. The wooden bridge had been closed to traffic since 1981, causing the handful of local residents surrounding the span to maneuver under a cramped railroad trestle to get to their homes.
(Reference: Roofs Over Rivers, by Bill and Nick Cockrell)
Krewson Covered Bridge (also Pass Creek Bridge) spans Pass Creek in Drain. The bridge (World Guide #37-10-02) is a Howe truss and is 61 feet long. In 1987, the bridge was moved a few hundred feet downstream into the Civic Center park. At one time, the Krewson Bridge and the nearby railroad bridge were both covered. The construction date of 1925 is in dispute as locals claim the bridge may have been built as early as 1906.
(Oregon State Archives, Salem Public Library, 4831)