Cottonwood Creek Bridge
Photo taken by Gene McCluney in March 2009
BH Photo #136447
Written by Gary Hines
This bridge is one of three bridges that were built by Payne County forces & a contractor (Diamond Valley Bridge from Meeker). Each of these bridges were salvaged from one location on SH 48 near Holdenville over the North Canadian River. While these bridges serve their purpose where they are now, they have some problems all related to the re-construction. Care was not taken when the floorbeams & stringers were dis-assembled to record their positions. When fitted back together some stringers are in the wrong position; an inner stringer was placed in the outer position & vice/versa. This has resulted in some stringers not touching the deck (~ 1" short). While not a serious concern this will reduce the service life of the deck. Another concern, probably more significant, is that all the conections were WELDED after a few bolts were used to line the holes where the rivets were originaly. Welding on a fracture critical member is seriously frowned on in the engineering community! The saving factor may be that this bridge does not see repeated truck traffic that is usually required to initiate a crack. Still, all in all, I'm glad these bridges were recycled. The state (ODOT) has an aggressive plan in action to replace all posted bridges on the State System - this basically covers ALL trusses :( There have been 3 trusses replaced just this year in Division #4.
- Pony truss bridge over Cottonwood Creek on E0730 in Cushing
- Cushing, Payne County, Oklahoma
- Open to traffic
- Built 1996, but what that means is that the bridge was moved here in 1996.
- Riveted, 5-panel Parker pony truss
Span length: 100.1 ft.
Total length: 100.1 ft.
Deck width: 24.6 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +35.95656, -96.73473 (decimal degrees)
35°57'24" N, 96°44'05" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 14/704292/3981502 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- North Village
- Average daily traffic (as of 2016)
- Inventory numbers
- OKNBI 241370000000000 (Oklahoma bridge number on the National Bridge Inventory)
BH 29611 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of February 2018)
- Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 41 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- December 18, 2009: Essay added by Gary Hines
- April 5, 2009: Updated by Gene McCluney: Added more data.
- April 3, 2009: New photo from Gene McCluney
- Gene McCluney - gmacfilm [at] live [dot] com
- Gary Hines - ghines [at] odot [dot] org