Rating:
No votes cast

Five Span Bridge (Old)

Description 

Information on this bridge appears sketchy. The Paulding Journal in the Google Books link mentions that the substructure of a bridge at Junction was being built in June of 1875, and that an iron bridge at Junction lost two spans in an 1883 flood. Additionally, the 1876 edition of Engineering News-Record mentions that the Wrought Iron Bridge Co was then engaged in building a bridge at Junction. The Five Span bridge built in 1912-1913 reused a Wrought Iron Bridge Co. Whipple truss, possibly from this same bridge.

Facts 

Overview
Lost truss bridge over Auglaize River on OH-637
Location
Junction, Paulding County, Ohio
Status
Replaced by a new bridge
History
Built 1875-76 by the Wrought Iron Bridge Co.; damaged by flood 1883; replaced 1912
Builder
- Wrought Iron Bridge Co. of Canton, Ohio
Design
Five-span Whipple through truss
Dimensions
Total length: 700.0 ft.
Approximate latitude, longitude
+41.19426, -84.44553   (decimal degrees)
41°11'39" N, 84°26'44" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
16/714212/4563468 (zone/easting/northing)
Inventory number
BH 98656 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Update Log 

  • July 2, 2022: Updated by Paul Plassman: Added length, builder, and refined build date; also categories "Pin-connected", "One-lane traffic"
  • June 23, 2022: Added by Paul Plassman

Related Bridges