Dayton View Bridge
The Dayton View Bridge was originally a 2 span wooden covered bridge built in 1854 replacing a structure washed away in 1852. When the dykes were added, D.H. & C.C. Morrison (AKA Columbia Bridge Works) added three bowstring through trusses to reach the newly created far dyke. In 1885, CBW replaced the wooden covered spans with two 11 panel Whipples. The bridge was removed/replaced in 1908. The Whipples were relocated at that time to Sunrise Ave. over Wolf Creek.
- Lost Whipple through truss bridge over Miami River near Monument Ave. Bridge location
- Dayton, Montgomery County, Ohio
- No longer exists
- Covered bridge built in 1854 expanded with three CBW bowstring spans in 1871, Covered spans replaced with Whipples in 1885. Removed 1908
- - Columbia Bridge Works of Dayton, Ohio
- D.H. & C.C. Morrison of Dayton, Ohio
- In 1854 a 2 span covered bridge replaced the prior structure. A 3 span bowstring through truss was added to the eastern end in 1871 in conjunction with the building of the levies. The covered spans were replaced with 2 11 panel Whipple trusses in 1885.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.76313, -84.20229 (decimal degrees)
39°45'47" N, 84°12'08" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/739652/4405211 (zone/easting/northing)
- Inventory number
- BH 88002 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- March 18, 2021: Updated by Art Suckewer: cleaned up the description and added the Whipple's build date.
- February 2, 2020: New photo from Art Suckewer
- February 1, 2020: New photo from Art Suckewer
- January 31, 2020: Updated by Art Suckewer: adjusted location
- Art Suckewer - Asuckewer [at] knite [dot] com