WLE - Rocky River Viaduct
The "Rocky River Viaduct", originally named The Northern Ohio Viaduct, was constructed in 1890. In 1926, the American Bridge Company rehabilitated the bridge, replacing the supports and deck, converting the bridge from narrow gauge to standard gauge. The bridge is currently owned by the Wheeling & Lake Erie Railway. The bridge is reportedly used 1-3x a day for train traffic.
Length is an estimate.
- Deck plate girder bridge over Rocky River on W&LE Medina Branch Railroad, AC&Y Medina Loop
- Medina, Medina County, Ohio
- Open to traffic
- Built 1926 replacing an 1890 bridge
- - American Bridge Co. of New York
- - Akron, Canton & Youngstown Railroad (ACY)
- Wheeling & Lake Erie Railway (1990) (WLE)
- Deck plate girder
Total length: 848.0 ft.
Deck width: 8.0 ft.
- Also called
- Chippewa Ditch Bridge
W&LE Train Bridge
River Styx Train Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.11736, -81.81349 (decimal degrees)
41°07'02" N, 81°48'49" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/431705/4552103 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- 750 ft. above sea level
- Inventory number
- BH 67526 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- October 13, 2021: Updated by Paul Plassman: Corrected length from 7,200' to 848'
- December 6, 2018: New Street View added by Jeff Wieland
- December 6, 2018: New photos from Geoffrey Moreland
- May 10, 2015: Added by Geoffrey Moreland
- Truss & Rivets
- Jeff Wieland
- Paul Plassman