Rating:
No votes cast

Waterville Bridge (1904)

Photos 

Waterville Old Wagon Bridge

looking northeast after collapse

Photo from Waterviille History

License: Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike (CC BY-SA)

Enlarge

View this photo at watervillehistory.org

BH Photo #468025

Description 

Substructure reused on the 1948 bridge, thus probably around 840-850 feet long. Steel shortages due to WWII meant that this bridge was not replaced until seven years after its 1941 collapse, with traffic instead using the old interurban bridge a mile upstream.

Facts 

Overview
Lost Pratt through truss bridge over Maumee River on Mechanic Street
Location
Waterville, Lucas County, Ohio, and Wood County, Ohio
Status
Superstructure replaced
History
Built 1887-8; two spans destroyed by flood 1904; repaired 1926 after being damaged by steam shovel; one span collapsed July 24, 1941 under milk truck; replaced in 1948.
Builder
- Massillon Bridge Co. of Massillon, Ohio (Rebuilding of two spans in 1904)
Design
(5)11-panel, pinned Pratt through truss
Approximate latitude, longitude
+41.50006, -83.71341   (decimal degrees)
41°30'00" N, 83°42'48" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
17/273521/4597826 (zone/easting/northing)
Inventory number
BH 88571 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Update Log 

  • June 22, 2022: Updated by Paul Plassman: Added 1904 builder and fixed some history
  • October 27, 2021: New photo from Melissa Brand-Welch
  • September 29, 2021: Updated by Paul Plassman: Added some dates and description
  • September 14, 2021: Updated by Paul Plassman: Added Wood County to location to reflect that bridge crossed the county line
  • March 25, 2020: Updated by Tony Dillon: Added and fixed information
  • March 18, 2020: Updated by Tony Dillon: Added truss type
  • March 18, 2020: New photo from Geoff Hubbs

Related Bridges 

Sources 

Comments 

Waterville Bridge (1904)
Posted September 29, 2021, by Paul Plassman

Sounds like it was actually built in 1887-88 and repaired after two spans were destroyed in 1904: https://www.watervillehistory.org/featured-stories/2016/3/11...