Waterworks Road Bridge
Waterworks Road Bridge Painting
Painting date: 1964
Painting By Roland Jones. Photo scan courtesy, William Evans
BH Photo #490603
William Evans, Office of Licking County Engineer, provided the following information: Shown on this page is a picture of an original painting of the Pratt truss bridge on Waterworks Rd in Newark, Ohio before the current bridge was built, total length 210 ft (two 105-ft trusses). My grandmother was a nurse at Licking Memorial Hospital and she hired a doctor (and an apparent hobby painter) named Roland Jones to paint this as a gift for my father in 1964. The buildings in the background are Newark's water treatment plant and they look pretty much the same to this day. Also, the pier footing is still visible on days when the water is clear. Our farm was east of the river and we crossed this squeaky piece of junk all the time. It was single-lane and drivers had to yield to anyone already coming through. According to an older sibling, my dad who worked construction took a heavy load across it on one occasion and caused damage that required brief closure for repair. I think the bridge had a 5-ton limit when it was finally retired, Dec 17, 1973. The bridge crossed perpendicular to the river, parallel to the dam. The replacement bridge, built south of the dam, involed major roadway realignment, connecting Waterworks and Cedar Run Roads straight through--a huge improvement.
- Lost Pratt through truss bridge over North Fork Licking River on Waterworks Road
- Newark, Licking County, Ohio
- Replaced by a new bridge
- Pratt through truss
Length of largest span: 105.0 ft.
Total length: 210.0 ft.
Deck width: 15.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.08749, -82.41099 (decimal degrees)
40°05'15" N, 82°24'40" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/379710/4438421 (zone/easting/northing)
- Land survey
- Newark Twp
- Inventory number
- BH 92208 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- February 10, 2022: New photo from Geoff Hubbs
- February 21, 2021: Updated by William Evans: Information added
- February 20, 2021: Added by Nathan Holth
- Nathan Holth
- William Evans - bevans [at] lcounty [dot] com
- Geoff Hubbs