Rating:
No votes cast

Toboso Covered Bridge

Photos 

Toboso Covered Bridge

The Newark Advocate: June 26 1941

Enlarge

BH Photo #491662

Map 

Description 

Apparently plagued with problems after being built in 1858, this bridge collapsed in 1861 and was rebuilt. A third simple truss was added to it the following year.

Replaced with metal truss spans that were relocated here in 1941. Following the steel truss, the center pier was widened in 1988 to accommodate a 29.4-ft-wide steel beam bridge and is still in service.

Facts 

Overview
Lost Burr arch-truss bridge over Licking River on Toboso Road
Location
Licking County, Ohio
Status
Replaced by a new bridge
History
Originally built 1858; rebuilt 1861; replaced 1941
Builders
- John Shrake (Original contractor)
- O.Z. Hilleary (Rebuild contractor)
Design
Burr arch-truss
Dimensions
Length of largest span: 76.0 ft.
Total length: 227.0 ft.
Deck width: 16.0 ft.
Also called
Licking Dam Bridge
Approximate latitude, longitude
+40.05682, -82.22025   (decimal degrees)
40°03'25" N, 82°13'13" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
17/395924/4434777 (zone/easting/northing)
Inventory number
BH 92269 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Update Log 

  • March 15, 2021: Updated by William Evans: Photos added
  • February 26, 2021: New photo from Melissa Brand-Welch
  • February 26, 2021: Added by Tony Dillon

Related Bridges 

Sources 

  • Tony Dillon - spansaver [at] hotmail [dot] com
  • Melissa Brand-Welch - melissabrandwelch [at] msn [dot] com
  • William Evans - bevans [at] lcounty [dot] com