Rating:
No votes cast

Hopkins Street Bridge (1875)

Description 

The source for some of the information on this page is "The Covered Bridges of Ohio: An Atlas and History" by Miriam Wood. The first bridge over the Auglaize at Hopkins Street was built in 1853.

Facts 

Overview
Lost Long through truss bridge over Auglaize River on Hopkins Street
Location
Defiance, Defiance County, Ohio
Status
Replaced by a new bridge
History
Built 1875 by the Hamilton Brothers; later replaced by through truss bridge
Builder
- Hamilton Brothers
Design
Possibly a Long through truss according to Miriam Wood's book
Dimensions
Total length: 459.0 ft.
Deck width: 18.0 ft.
Approximate latitude, longitude
+41.28164, -84.35808   (decimal degrees)
41°16'54" N, 84°21'29" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
16/721251/4573389 (zone/easting/northing)
Inventory number
BH 94722 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Update Log 

  • October 13, 2021: Added by Paul Plassman

Related Bridges 

Comments 

Hopkins Street Bridge (1875)
Posted June 23, 2022, by Paul Plassman

Either LostBridges and Miriam Wood's book are in error about a covered bridge being built here in 1875, or the county commissioners changed their minds and went with a wooden bridge after all.

From Reports of Cases Argued in the Supreme Court, 1875, page 493.

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Reports_of_Cases_Argued...