Columbus Road Bridge (1940)
Columbus Road Bridge
Photo taken by C Hanchey in July 2012
License: Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial (CC BY-NC)
BH Photo #267723
Columbus road bridge
Just repaired and painted
Play video on YouTube
Time Lapse: Moving Columbus Rd Bridge onto Barge
Time lapse of replacement span loading onto barge to be floated into place
Among the oldest of the vertical lift bridges in Cleveland, the Columbus Road Bridge is an 11 panel Camelback Truss. Originally built in 1940, 2013 saw the replacement of the center span with a more modern Camelback Truss.
- Vertical lift bridge on Columbus Road (CR 356) in Cleveland
- Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, Ohio
- Center span replaced in 2013
- Built 1940 by the Public Works Administration; Center span replaced 2013 still in use of vehical traffic
- - American Bridge Co. of New York
- Public Works Administration
- Vertical Lift 11-Panel Camelback Truss
Length of largest span: 242.1 ft.
Total length: 358.9 ft.
Deck width: 42.0 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 15.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.48836, -81.70048 (decimal degrees)
41°29'18" N, 81°42'02" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/441525/4593208 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Cleveland South
- Average daily traffic (as of 2015)
- Inventory numbers
- ODOT 1833758 (Ohio Dept. of Transportation structure file number)
BH 27439 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of August 2018)
- Overall condition: Good
Superstructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Very Good (8 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 94.2 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- June 19, 2021: New photo from Douglas Butler
- April 16, 2020: Updated by Luke: Put the "Old" back as 100% replacement of superstructure/main span = replacement, ergo the bridge this entry is for no longer exists.
- April 16, 2020: Updated by Nick Boppel: This isn't the "old" bridge - the bridge itself still exists (just the lift span was replaced)
- September 21, 2019: New photos from Jann Mayer
- April 26, 2018: Updated by Luke: "100% replacement of superstructure/main span = Replacement" - Nathan Holth of HistoricBridges
- April 26, 2018: Updated by Douglas Butler: Still in good shape not lost in use for vehicle traffic
- April 25, 2018: Updated by Luke: Reverted to lost: Mounting a 2013 bridge to 1940 machinery doesn't make it a 1940s bridge.
- April 25, 2018: Updated by Amanda: Revert: Doug is correct, bridge was never completely lost at the towers remain
- January 6, 2018: New photo from Geoffrey Moreland
- January 5, 2018: New video from Geoffrey Moreland
- September 4, 2017: Updated by Christopher Finigan: Added category "Riveted"
- July 29, 2017: New photos from Douglas Butler
- November 15, 2016: New Street View added by Douglas Butler
- January 5, 2016: New video from Douglas Butler
- December 29, 2015: New photos from Douglas Butler
- December 19, 2015: New Street View added by Douglas Butler
- December 5, 2015: New Street View added by Douglas Butler
- August 17, 2015: New photo from Luke
- May 4, 2015: Updated by Douglas Butler: New lift span installed and painted green in 2015
- February 10, 2015: HAER photos posted by James Baughn
- November 5, 2014: New photo from Douglas Butler
- October 5, 2013: Updated by C Hanchey: Added categories "HAER documented", "Ohio Department of Transportation Historic Bridge List "
- August 15, 2013: New Street View added by Douglas Butler
- March 30, 2013: Updated by Nathan Holth: Most of this bridge to be demolished and replaced.
- September 22, 2012: Updated by C Hanchey: updated location
- October 14, 2010: Updated by D. Thomsen: Added Cuyahoga River
- January 3, 2010: New photos from Bill Eichelberger
- Bill Eichelberger
- D. Thomsen - dcthomsen [at] comcast [dot] net
- C Hanchey - cmh2315fl [at] yahoo [dot] com
- Nathan Holth
- Douglas Butler
- HAER OH-55 - Columbus Road Lift Bridge, Spanning Cuyahoga River at Columbus Road, Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, OH
- Flickr - Imagery
- Truss & Rivets
- Jann Mayer - jannmayer [at] gmail [dot] com
- Nick Boppel - nickboppel01 [at] gmail [dot] com