Stonelick Covered Bridge 35-13-02
Photo taken by Bill Eichelberger in January 2008
BH Photo #126221
Clermont County’s historic Stonelick Covered Bridge collapsed Tuesday afternoon as construction crews worked on its restoration. No one was injured. The cause is under investigation.
The 136-year-old structure on Stonelick-Williams Corner Road is the only covered bridge in Clermont County, and one of about 140 covered bridges in Ohio. It has been closed to traffic since May 2010, when a heavy truck caused damage to the floor beams. A plan to restore the bridge, retaining its historic characteristics, was put in place in March 2012. Work began in October.
Clermont County Engineer Pat Manger said the entire bridge collapsed; half of it is in the creek, and half lies on temporary shoring that was erected under the bridge. Four workers were on the bridge when it collapsed, but they were able to jump to safety.
Officials with the Columbus-based contractor will be in Clermont County Wednesday morning to discuss the next steps, Manger said.
- Covered bridge over Stonelick Creek on Stonelick Williams Corner Road (CR 116)
- Clermont County, Ohio
- Collapsed during reconstruction Feb. 11, 2014. Rebuilt and returned to service
- Built 1878; rehabilitated 1971; closed after overweight truck crossed 2010; collapsed during rehabilitation Feb. 11, 2014, rebuilt 2015
- Covered Howe through truss
Length of largest span: 136.2 ft.
Total length: 140.1 ft.
Deck width: 16.4 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 15.0 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on September 10, 1974
- Also called
- Perintown Covered Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.13128, -84.18711 (decimal degrees)
39°07'53" N, 84°11'14" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/743142/4335113 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory numbers
- ODOT 1359975 (Ohio Dept. of Transportation structure file number)
WGCB 35-13-02 (World Guide to Covered Bridges number)
NRHP 74001419 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
BH 27371 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- December 8, 2015: New photos from Jack Schmidt
- August 30, 2015: Updated by Will Truax: Updated status
- March 12, 2014: New Street View added by Dave King
- February 11, 2014: Updated by Alexander D. Mitchell IV: Bridge collapsed during reconstruction; rebuilding anticipated
- June 22, 2010: New photos from Anthony Dillon
- June 20, 2010: Updated by Anthony Dillon: I was told the bridge had been damaged by a truck and closed. I was in the area and stopped by the bridge, and did find it closed but could find no signs of damage.
- October 24, 2008: New photo from Bill Eichelberger
- October 16, 2008: New photo from Bill Eichelberger