No votes cast
UI&E - Block House Gorge Trestle
The length of this bridge and the number of spans appear to be in dispute, with various sources touting its length as 393', 600', 767' or approximately 570', with either 15 or 19 spans. It stood 75'6" high.
The similar Deep Gorge Trestle nearby was replaced with a deck truss bridge in the 1890's, so it seems reasonable to assume that a similar scenario played out with the Block House Trestle.
Thanks to James Stewart for providing information and insight regarding this bridge.
- Lost Fink deck truss bridge over tributary of Cayuta Creek on Utica, Ithaca & Elmira Railroad
- Schuyler County, New York
- Removed but not replaced
- Built 1873 by Clarke, Reeves & Co.; removed sometime before 1944 per Historic Aerials
- - Clarke, Reeves & Co. of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- - Elmira, Cortland & Northern Railroad
- Lehigh Valley Railroad (LV)
- Utica, Ithaca & Elmira Railroad (UI&E)
- Fink deck truss with Phoenix columns
Length of largest span: 30.0 ft.
Total length: 570.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +42.24182, -76.65383 (decimal degrees)
42°14'31" N, 76°39'14" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/363551/4677949 (zone/easting/northing)
- Inventory number
- BH 102265 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- January 23, 2023: Updated by Paul Plassman: Fixed type, added span length, and noted dispute between lengths and number of spans in description
- January 22, 2023: Added by Paul Plassman