IRC - 18 Mile Creek Bridge (W) Lockport
Photo taken by Mike Niethe
BH Photo #352548
This trestle spans 18 Mile Creek near Jackson Street in the City of Lockport. It can not be seen from the roadway because it is in a deep ravine lined by bushes and trees. In fact it can't be seen on Google satellite view because of the foliage.
This trestle is about 200 yards west (downstream) from the other International Railway Company bridge listed on this website.
This trestle is about 250 feet long. It's about 25 feet above the water where it crosses the creek.
The span over the creek itself is steel. The approaches to the main span are supported by big wooden pilings.
The rails are still in place on the trestle itself but they are buried in the ground at either end.
This trestle has been abandoned for many years. It's been in it's present condition since I played on it many times in the 1960's.
Today this bridge, along with the other International Railway Company bridge on this website are wholly on private property.
I included a photo of the 1909 Sanborn map of the site which shows this trestle on the left along with the big I.R.C. trestle on the right. The buildings shown on the map are now gone.
- Deck plate girder bridge over 18 Mile Creek on International Railway Co.
- Lockport, Niagara County, New York
- - International Railway Co. (IRC)
- Deck plate girder
Total length: 250.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +43.18318, -78.69725 (decimal degrees)
43°10'59" N, 78°41'50" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/687137/4783731 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 71989 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- April 26, 2016: Updated by Luke: Added GPS (?)
- April 26, 2016: Added by Michael Niethe
- Mike Niethe - michaelniethe [at] gmail [dot] com