Old Elm Ridge Road Bridge
Long since abandoned it rural upstate New York is a unique lenticular through truss that, while overgrown and unattended to for so long, retains a good amount of historic integrity. The substructure is also still in relativity good shape, however there are trees growing on the old road alignment, which could spell trouble for the dry laid stone abutments in the future
As with other examples of this truss type, this was fabricated from wrought iron and features pin connections. Unique to this bridge among extant examples (Although the lost Hubbardtown lenticular truss had these) are the compression members, which are not built up members but are instead rolled I beams. Differing from the Hubbardtown bridge is that the overhead truss bracing is also made from rolled I beams, giving this bridge an incredibly light feeling to it.
Perhaps because of this fact that the truss was not innately strong accounts for the unusual addition of a pier in the center of the river. Given that the pier is made out of concrete, it certainly wasn't part of the original structure (and if it had been, it would have been more likely that a 2 span pony truss would have been employed). The central pier supports two I beams which run beneath the floor beams for the central panels.
Going along with the sparse feel of this bridge, there is no ornate details on this structure that are usually attributed to the Berlin Iron Bridge Co, such as portal cresting or finials. However there is a remaining builders plaque.
- Bypassed lenticular through truss bridge over Indian River on the old alignment of Elm Ridge Road
- Evans Mills, Jefferson County, New York
- Built 1884 by Berlin Iron Bridge Co.; bypassed 1962
- - Berlin Iron Bridge Co. of East Berlin, Connecticut
- Lenticular through truss
Total length: 110.0 ft.
- Also called
- Anstead Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +44.11125, -75.78277 (decimal degrees)
44°06'40" N, 75°46'58" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/437359/4884527 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Black River
- Inventory number
- BH 59139 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- April 28, 2015: Updated by Michael Quiet: Confirmed Builder, Added info & pictures
- February 8, 2014: Updated by CANALLER: Added Info.
- January 5, 2014: Photo imported by Luke Harden
- January 4, 2014: Updated by Luke Harden: Changed status from "don't know" to "abandoned"
- January 4, 2014: Updated by Don Morrison: Added category "Deck removed"