Mill Street Bridge over Big Sister Creek
Photo taken by Mike Niethe in August 2020
BH Photo #478750
This bridge carries vehicular traffic of Mill Street over Big Sister Creek in the Village of Angola (Erie County) New York.
This bridge is about 300 yards downstream from the present day CSX - Big Sister Creek Bridge, and the site of the "Angola Horror" on the lost LS&MS Big Sister Creek Bridge.
Herman Park is adjacent to this bridge, and is the site of the historical marker that commemorates the Angola Horror.
If anyone wishes to walk to the site of the Angola Horror, the most practical route is to park at Herman Park and to walk (upstream) up Big Sister Creek. Although it's only about 300 yards, it's a challenging walk along the creek bed. I visited there in August, when the water level was very low, and I had to walk in the creek itself.
- Bridge over Big Sister Creek on Mill Street
- Angola, Erie County, New York
- Open to traffic
- Steel stringer
Length of largest span: 97.8 ft.
Total length: 102.0 ft.
Deck width: 29.9 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +42.64386, -79.02369 (decimal degrees)
42°38'38" N, 79°01'25" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/662015/4723161 (zone/easting/northing)
- Average daily traffic (as of 2016)
- Inventory numbers
- NY 3327770 (New York State bridge identification number)
BH 90238 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of July 2018)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Very Good (8 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 78.1 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- August 11, 2020: New photos from Mike Niethe
- Mike Niethe - michaelniethe [at] gmail [dot] com