Michigan Avenue Bridge (1930)
Michigan Avenue Bridge
Photo taken by Douglas Butler in April 2013
BH Photo #282950
This original bridge was built 1930. It was knocked down by ship that broke loose of its moorings in 1959, A new lift bridge was then built, and the center span bridgetender building was changed to the current site. The bridge was rehabilitated in the 1970s and again in 1996.
Source: Robert J. Szary, Former Supervisor of Electrical & Mechanical Lift Bridge Maintenance, City of Buffalo Division of Engineering
Note: The National Bridge Inventory incorrectly lists the construction date as 1930. This probably is because the substructure of the 1930 bridge was reused.
- Vertical lift bridge over Buffalo River on Michigan Avenue in Buffalo
- Buffalo, Erie County, New York
- Open to traffic
- Built 1930; Reconstructed using original substructure 1960; Rehabilitated in 1970s and 1996
- - Ernst Steel Corporation of Cheektowaga, New York (Contractor)
- McFarland-Johnson, Inc. of Binghamton, New York (Consulting Engineer)
- Vertical lift, Pratt through truss lift span.
Length of largest span: 235.9 ft.
Total length: 245.7 ft.
Deck width: 37.7 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 14.0 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +42.87139, -78.87278 (decimal degrees)
42°52'17" N, 78°52'22" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/673750/4748727 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Buffalo SE
- Average daily traffic (as of 2015)
- Inventory numbers
- NY 2260450 (New York State bridge identification number)
BH 26015 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of December 2018)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 63.7 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- September 13, 2022: New photo from Geoff Hubbs
- December 27, 2020: New photos from Josh Schmid
- November 13, 2020: New photo from Geoff Hubbs
- July 5, 2019: New photos from Mike Niethe
- August 7, 2016: New photos from Douglas Butler
- July 10, 2016: New photo from Royce and Bobette Haley
- April 26, 2016: New Street View added by Douglas Butler
- December 3, 2015: New Street View added by Douglas Butler
- August 2, 2015: Updated by Luke: Added builders + Images
- May 14, 2014: New Street View added by Luke Harden
- April 30, 2014: New photos from Douglas Butler
- September 14, 2010: Updated by Nathan Holth: Updated construction date and bridge history.
- June 17, 2010: New Street View added by Nathan Holth