Bard Rock Bridge
Bridge Over New York Central Railroad, Nps Route 11, Deck View, Looking Wnw
Photo taken for the Historic American Engineering Record
View photos at Library of Congress
BH Photo #223341
At Vanderbilt Mansion, Frederick Vanderbilt created a country estate with a picturesque carriage drive system and bridges that complemented and heightened the beauty of the natural landscape. One of a system of bridges built during the Vanderbilt period of ownership, the structure is of plate girder construction encased in concrete, which is unusual. The span is somewhat decorative as opposed to most railroad bridges, which serve a utilitarian function and usually reflect that fact.
-- Historic American Engineering Record
- Concrete pony/through girder bridge over Amtrak on Park Rd Nps Rte11
- Dutchess County, New York
- Open to traffic
- Built 1912
- - Amtrak (AMTK)
- CSX Railroad (CSX)
- Conrail (CR)
- New York Central Railroad (NYC)
- Penn Central Railroad (PC)
- Concrete through girder
Length of largest span: 69.9 ft.
Total length: 75.1 ft.
Deck width: 12.1 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +41.80500, -73.94333 (decimal degrees)
41°48'18" N, 73°56'36" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/587777/4628665 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Hyde Park
- Average daily traffic (as of 2010)
- Inventory numbers
- NY 5521770 (New York State bridge identification number)
BH 50945 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of June 2018)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 24.7 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- January 14, 2012: Updated by J.P.: Added categories "HAER documented", "One-lane traffic"
- J.P. - wildcatjon2000 [at] gmail [dot] com
- HAER NY-319 - Bard Rock Bridge, Spanning New York Central Railroad tracks, Hyde Park, Dutchess County, NY