Hibernia Mine Railroad Bridge
Genuine Phoenix, but unmarked
Written by Andrew Pearce
As far as I know, all Phoenix Columns were made by PIC. Many of their bridges were factory built by PBC and the assembled by local builders. There is nothing on any column, chord, diagonal, or floor beam on this bridge marked Phoenix Iron Company. Perhaps they were all ground down. The paint is not too thick to obscure the marks if they were there; it's thin enough so that you can see the texture of the wrought iron beneath it.
At some point in the past, something was attached to one end of one side of the bridge. The first 3 columns on the east side have 2 drilled 3/4" holes in them about 9 and 11 feet above the deck on the inside. No matching holes on the outside of those columns, no matching holes on the other side or on the other end of the bridge.
No builder's plaque present, which may not have been uncommon for a railroad bridge.
- Pratt through truss bridge over Raritan Power Canal on Raritan River Greenway
- Raritan, Somerset County, New Jersey
- Open to pedestrians
- Built 1879 as part of the Hibernia Mine Railroad, moved in 1894 to Hillsborough, and then relocated and rehabilitated in 2007 to be used on the Raritan River Greenway
- - Clarke, Reeves & Co. of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- - Hibernia Mine Railroad
- This bridge uses Phoenix Columns and is skewed.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.56050, -74.64733 (decimal degrees)
40°33'38" N, 74°38'50" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/529856/4490029 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 49640 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- March 10, 2021: New photo from Geoff Hubbs
- March 6, 2021: New photo from Geoff Hubbs
- May 16, 2020: New photo from Patrick Gurwell
- January 8, 2014: Updated by Luke Harden: Added categories "Hibernia Mine Railroad", "Relocated", "Railroad"
- June 4, 2013: Essay added by Andrew Pearce
- September 16, 2011: Added by James McCray