New Hampton Bridge
Written by Andrew Pearce
"New Hampton" is a historical designation for the area, a town that never really existed. This is just one of half a dozen bridges that crosses the Musconetcong River between Rt 31 and Point Mountain Road, but it is the oldest by far, and a lovely little bridge of extreme rarity.
The Musconetcong River is the county line, so on one side of the bridge it's Shoddy Mills Road, on the other side it's Rymon Road; the bridge has at least 3 viable names.
Amazingly, as the river floods almost every year and the other bridges get washed away, this one manages to survive.
It actually gets pretty regular usage too, with a local car or light truck crossing it once every minute or so on most days, yet it has survived all this time with just the most minimal guard rails in place.
- Iron pony truss bridge over Musconetcong River on Rymon Road
- Hunterdon County, New Jersey, and Warren County, New Jersey
- Closed to traffic
- Built 1868 by the Cowin Iron Works for the Pennsylvania Railroad; rehabilitated 1991
- - Cowin Iron Works of Lambertville, New Jersey
- Pin-connected, 8-panel, wrought- and cast-iron pony truss with vertical endpoints
Length of largest span: 80.1 ft.
Total length: 85.0 ft.
Deck width: 16.1 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places
- Also called
- Shoddy Mill Road Bridge
Rymon Road Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.72048, -74.96351 (decimal degrees)
40°43'14" N, 74°57'49" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/503081/4507729 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- High Bridge
- Inventory numbers
- NRHP 2102225 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
NJ 2102225 (New Jersey bridge number)
BH 45831 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- March 29, 2022: New Street View added by Geoff Hubbs
- July 22, 2020: New photos from Patrick Gurwell
- July 9, 2020: New photos from Patrick Gurwell
- April 5, 2020: New photo from Geoff Hubbs
- February 18, 2018: New photos from Chester Gehman
- February 17, 2018: New Street View added by Dana and Kay Klein
- June 9, 2014: Updated by Chester Gehman: Clarified location, type and builder; photos
- March 1, 2013: Updated by Andrew Pearce: added NRHP number and cross-listing hyperlinks
- August 27, 2012: Essay added by Andrew Pearce
- August 7, 2010: Added by James Baughn
- James Baughn - webmaster [at] bridgehunter [dot] com
- HAER NJ-91 - New Hampton Bridge, Spanning Musconetcong River, New Hampton vicinity, Hunterdon County, NJ
- Historicbridges.org - by Nathan Holth
- Chester Gehman - gehmanc2000 [at] yahoo [dot] com
- Dana and Kay Klein
- Geoff Hubbs
- Patrick Gurwell - pgurwell [at] gmail [dot] com