Rockafellows Mill Bridge
Photo taken by Andrew Pearce in July 2012
BH Photo #237657
This one gets my vote for the best looking non-Phoenix column Pratt in the county. It is simply a beautiful bridge, and a nice surprise; it's only about 3 minutes from downtown super-suburban Flemington NJ, after a short drive out the industrial end of River Road. Turn the corner and this bridge suddenly appears from under the trees as if you've jumped back 100 years in time.
The 2010 rehabilitation is covered at http://www.historicbridges.org/bridges/browser/?bridgebrowse...
along with numerous "before" pictures. While the renovated bridge is no longer 100% original (new railings and floor beams) it is 5 times stronger than before, going from a 3 ton rating to a 15 ton rating.
This bridge is also a bit atypical for the area, with a single span of nearly 140 feet. Most other old bridges in the county are two span ponies for that width. The A-frame portal bracing is the only sway bracing on the bridge. There is none where the verticals meet the top laterals, although such bracing is not at all uncommon on through trusses in the area.
This bridge is almost exactly the same as the Fryer's Ford bridge that collapsed. Same builder, same age. Much better cared for.
- Through truss bridge over South Branch Raritan River on Rockafellows Mill
- Flemington NJ, Hunterdon County, New Jersey
- Open to traffic
- Built 1900 refurbished 2010
- - Wrought Iron Bridge Co. of Canton, Ohio
- Pratt through truss
Length of largest span: 138.1 ft.
Total length: 140.1 ft.
Deck width: 15.4 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 13.7 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Also called
- Rockefellows Mill Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.52056, -74.82028 (decimal degrees)
40°31'14" N, 74°49'13" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/515223/4485551 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2017)
- Inventory numbers
- NJ 10RQ164 (New Jersey bridge number)
BH 25308 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of July 2017)
- Overall condition: Good
Superstructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 66.6 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- August 16, 2012: Updated by Andrew Pearce: added pictures and data