Mountain Road Bridge
Approaching bridge from the North.
Photo taken by Andrew Pearce in August 2012
BH Photo #238014
"The one lane pony truss bridge carries Mountain Road over one line of Raritan Valley Line track. Originally two lines of track were
crossed. It is located in a wooded sparsely settled area, immediately adjacent to an intersection." [ there are 2 lines of track there presently ]
"The cambered ten panel Warren with verticals pony truss bridge is riveted. It is supported on concrete abutments and wing walls. The
curved top chord is a built-up box member. Outriggers are original. Lacing on diagonal members is riveted to the outside edge of the
angle. Alterations are minimal. Strengthening plates have been added to the bottom chord. Stringers and deck are replacements. The NJ
Transit Historic Railroad Bridge Survey recommended that the bridge be ineligible."
- Pony truss bridge over Raritan Valley Line on Mountain Road
- Whitehouse Station, Hunterdon County, New Jersey
- Open to traffic
- Built 1910; rehabilitated 1978
- - Phoenix Bridge Co. of Phoenixville, Pennsylvania
- - Central Railroad of New Jersey (CNJ)
- Conrail (CR)
- New Jersey Transit (NJTR)
- Warren pony truss with all verticals
Length of largest span: 104.0 ft.
Total length: 107.9 ft.
Deck width: 15.1 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.62237, -74.79081 (decimal degrees)
40°37'21" N, 74°47'27" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/517692/4496859 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2017)
- Inventory numbers
- NJ 1060155 (New Jersey bridge number)
BH 25285 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of February 2017)
- Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 41.4 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- August 5, 2014: Updated by Dave King: Added new photos & street view
- September 26, 2012: Updated by Luke Harden: Added category "New Jersey Transit"
- August 25, 2012: Updated by Andrew Pearce: Added category "Riveted"
- Dave King - DKinghawkfan [at] hotmail [dot] com