1 vote

Bartlett Covered Bridge 29-02-02


South Approach

Photo taken by Mike Garland in July 2015


BH Photo #343717

Street View 


Built in 1850 to span the Saco River, this bridge employees the regionally common Paddleford Truss system, and represents the longest surviving single span length (about 180 feet) for this type. As with most of New Hampshire's covered bridges, this had the addition of laminated wooden arches in the 1920's to increase its load capacity, however this addition was short lived as the bridge was bypassed in 1939.

In 1965 the bridge was sold to an adjacent landowner, and has been in private ownership since. A gift shop was constructed inside the bridge (the aptly named "covered bridge gift shoppe"), and is part of the Covered Bridge Bed & breakfast.

Its interesting to note that this is the 2nd Paddleford truss that has been sold to private interests, the first being the circa 1867 Sanborn Covered Bridge in Lyndonville V.T. which was sold to the LynBurke Motel in 1961 and had a office built in it.


Paddleford through truss bridge
Carroll County, New Hampshire
Open to customers only
Built 1850; Rehabilitated with added arches c. 1920's; Bypassed 1939; Sold to private owner and converted to gift shop 1965
- Phillip Paddleford
Paddleford through truss
Total length: 183.0 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
Approximate latitude, longitude
+44.09506, -71.20346   (decimal degrees)
44°05'42" N, 71°12'12" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
19/323620/4884791 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
North Conway West
Inventory number
BH 47701 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Update Log 

  • April 17, 2018: New photos from Richard Doody
  • December 12, 2015: New photos from Mike Garland
  • January 13, 2011: Added by J.P.


  • J.P. - wildcatjon2000 [at] gmail [dot] com
  • Mike Garland - Rapier342 [at] comcast [dot] net
  • Richard Doody