North Fork Elkhorn River Bridge
A steel pony truss bridge carries the Meridian Highway over the North Fork of the Elkhorn River. The bridge was constructed in 1915. The steel bridge replaced an earlier wooden bridge and was constructed in a Warren configuration by the Canton Bridge Company of Canton, Ohio. The Canton Bridge Company was responsible for the construction of a number of truss bridges in Pierce County and held the county’s bridge contracts from 1905 to 1918.
The steel truss members are stamped with “Jones and Laughlin,” referring to the Jones and Laughlin Steel Corporation of Pittsburgh, which supplied steel to bridge companies. The bridge features a lattice railing marked “Cambria” probably referring to the Cambria steel mills of Pittsburgh, a supplier of steel to bridge manufacturers. The bridge measures 8 feet in height and is 16 feet wide and 81 feet long. The truss superstructure connects directly into concrete abutments. The deck of the structure is concrete over corrugated iron. [From Meridian Highway NRHP Form]
- Pony truss bridge over North Fork Elkhorn River on a 552nd Avenue, 1 mi. south and 2 mi. east of Pierce
- Pierce County, Nebraska
- Open to traffic
- Built 1915
- Pratt pony truss
Length of largest span: 80.1 ft.
Total length: 82.0 ft.
Deck width: 16.1 ft.
Listed as a contributing resource to a designated historic district on the National Register of Historic Places
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +42.17904, -97.48473 (decimal degrees)
42°10'45" N, 97°29'05" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 14/625140/4670766 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Wee Town
- Average daily traffic (as of 2003)
- Inventory number
- BH 24429 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of September 2017)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 43.4 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com