"A modern structure replaced this bridge in the early 2010s, but fortunately three contemporary bridges that look much like it continue to cross rivers in eastern North Carolina: Perquimans County Bridge 8 (1929), Pender County Bridge 16 (ca.1930), and New Hanover County Bridge 29 (1930-1931). As is the case with the Pender County structure, the swing-span section of this bridge graced two crossings. A 161-foot-long, center-bearing, riveted Warren through truss, the span was fabricated in 1931 by the Roanoke Iron & Bridge Works to carry traffic over the Neuse River between New Bern and Bridgeton in Craven County. In 1951 a new bridge was erected across the Neuse, but its swing-span section was dismantled and put into storage. In August 1954 the state brought the span back to life, installing it as the movable portion of this bridge, which it completed in August 1954 to carry Grimesland Bridge Road over the Tar River just north of Grimesland. The new structure consisted of more than its re-used swing span. It had seven spans altogether that totaled 359 feet in length-the swing span and six steel stringer approach spans, each of which was 32 feet long.
In 2011 the state replaced the Tar River Bridge with a new structure located just upriver to the west. Rather than destroying the bridge, however, the state had the contractor dismantle and put it into storage for possible re-use."-NCDOT
- Lost Warren through truss bridge over Tar River on Grimesland Bridge Rd
- Pitt County, North Carolina
- Replaced by a new bridge
- Built 1931
- - Roanoke Iron & Bridge Works of Roanoke, Virginia
- Warren through truss
Length of largest span: 161.0 ft.
Total length: 359.0 ft.
- Also called
- Tar River Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +35.57422, -77.17560 (decimal degrees)
35°34'27" N, 77°10'32" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 18/302854/3938902 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 68839 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- August 11, 2015: Added by Royce and Bobette Haley
- Royce and Bobette Haley - roycehaley111 [at] yahoo [dot] com