Photo taken by Jack Schmidt
BH Photo #272552
Detailed History: A bridge dating to 1922 existed at this location as a replacement for an 1893 bridge. The 180 foot main span seen today was built in 1914 in another location (The span originally crossed the Blackfoot River near about 30 miles northeast of Missoula called the Nine Mile Prairie Bridge) and was relocated and reused here as a new span in 1953. At this time, a ca. 1925 39 foot pony truss span (from yet another location) was relocated here also to be used as a new approach span. Floods washed out a southeast approach span in 1964, sparing the two truss spans, and the destroyed approach span was replaced with prestressed concrete spans at that time.
- Through truss bridge over Bitterroot River on CR L1390 in Orchard Homes
- Orchard Homes, Missoula County, Montana
- Open to traffic
- Future prospects
- Future uncertain. Plans were to build a new bridge for vehicular use on new alignment and preserve historic bridge for non-motorized traffic, but locals want a rehab for continued vehicular use and do not want any new bridge.
- Built 1914; Moved here 1953; rehabilitated 1964
- - O.E. Peppard of Missoula, Montana (1914 Parker Truss Span)
- Pin-connected Parker through truss main span, and a Warren pony truss approach span.
Length of largest span: 180.1 ft.
Total length: 346.1 ft.
Deck width: 14.1 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 14.2 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on December 20, 2016
- Also called
- Bitterroot River Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +46.85316, -114.09791 (decimal degrees)
46°51'11" N, 114°05'52" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 11/721230/5192935 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Southwest Missoula
- Average daily traffic (as of 2016)
- Inventory numbers
NRHP 16000875 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
BH 23105 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of August 2017)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 30 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- August 9, 2020: New Street View added by Geoff Hubbs
- November 13, 2019: Updated by Nathan Holth: Added history and builders.
- March 27, 2017: Updated by Dave King: Bridge has been posted to NRHP
- July 18, 2016: New photos from David Jones
- January 6, 2014: Updated by Luke Harden: Added city
- March 25, 2012: New Street View added by Craig Philpott
- February 10, 2011: Updated by Nathan Holth: Updated bridge type and name.
- April 20, 2010: New Street View added by J.P.