Silent Shade Swing Bridge
Photo taken by C Hanchey in January 2009
BH Photo #134095
Was in use at this location until 1988 when it was closed by the Army Corps of Engineers due to a flood control issue.
- Lost through truss swing bridge over Yazoo River
- Humphreys County, Mississippi, and Leflore County, Mississippi
- The swing span (and possibly other components) reused from Yazoo River Swing Bridge, per reference below
- - Groton Bridge Co. of Groton, New York (Original 1898 fabrication at Greenwood, MS)
- William T. Young Bridge Co. of Nashville, Tennessee (1927 Relocator/Re-erector)
- Warren through truss swing Bridge
Length of largest span: 274.0 ft.
Total length: 394.0 ft.
Deck width: 14.4 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +33.27858, -90.36192 (decimal degrees)
33°16'43" N, 90°21'43" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 15/745696/3685275 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Land survey
- T. 16 N., R. 2 W., Sec. 1
- Average daily traffic (as of 2007)
- Inventory number
- BH 39988 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of August 2009)
- Sufficiency rating: 14.1 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- December 18, 2019: Updated by Luke: Fixed janky builder section
- October 15, 2019: Updated by Tony Dillon: Added information pertaining to bridge closing.
- October 15, 2019: New photo from Melissa Brand-Welch
- October 15, 2019: Updated by Art Suckewer: Added builder and date of swing span
- October 13, 2019: Updated by Nathan Holth: Collapsed as confirmed by field visit.
- August 28, 2019: New photo from Melissa Brand-Welch
- February 21, 2015: New photos from James Baughn
- December 3, 2014: Updated by Nathan Holth: Corrected construction date, per MDAH
- August 24, 2013: New photo from Douglas Butler
- March 31, 2009: Updated by C Hanchey
- March 28, 2009: Updated by David Backlin: Added USGS Quadrangle
- February 24, 2009: Added by C Hanchey