Asher Bridge, 1905
Asher Bridge, southern end.
Unknown, copyright by K. Allen Ballard
BH Photo #284615
Locals gather on newly completed 280' long Asher Bridge, 1905. Before Asher Bridge was built, travelers used a nearby low water crossing which could only be forded three months of the year. Asher was the fourth bridge spanning the Salt, the fourth Ralls steel span, and at the time, the longest constructed by a county commission. Construction was greatly welcomed by residents who brought workers hot meals. St. Louis bridge builder, Meissert, married a local Coontz girl. This part of the Salt River was deep and treacherous as was the crossing upstream near later Norton Bridge. Norton was knocked off its abutments twice, once by flash flood, the second by ice jam and replaced in 1925 due to the extreme punishment. More than 1000 people attended opening day at Asher; 300lbs of fried fish, boiled hams, slaw, bread, pie, cake, ice cream, tea and coffee was served. The vehicle procession backed up a mile on both sides. From the deck to the water it was 40', but Marcus Crousore and others dove from it often.
- Lost Pratt through truss bridge over Salt River on MO Hwy H
- Ralls County, Missouri
- Replaced by a new bridge in 1964
- Before Asher Bridge was built, travelers used a nearby low water crossing which could only be forded three months of the year.
- - Joe Meissert (Bridge superintendent)
- Stupp Brothers Bridge & Iron Co. of St. Louis, Missouri
- 14 Panel Pennsylvania Truss with 5-slope Camelback upper-chord design.
Total length: 280.0 ft.
Deck width: 15.7 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.59292, -91.53384 (decimal degrees)
39°35'35" N, 91°32'02" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 15/625893/4383604 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Land survey
- Center, MO
- Inventory number
- BH 61157 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- June 22, 2022: Updated by Paul Plassman: Added categories "A-frame portal", "One-lane traffic", "Pin-connected", "Finials", "Cresting"
- February 9, 2015: Updated by Tony Dillon: Modified truss type
- February 8, 2015: Updated by Fmiser: added the year it was replaced
- June 1, 2014: Updated by K. Allen Ballard: Added Bridge; Historic Photo; History; Dimensions; Map location
- K. Allen Ballard - speedeeprint [at] gmail [dot] com
- Fmiser - fmiser [at] gmail [dot] com
- Tony Dillon - spansaver [at] hotmail [dot] com