MP - Saline Creek Tributary Stone Culvert
Stone Slab Lintle Box Culvert, Belmont Branch St Louis & Iron Mountain Railway
View SW of c. 1869 stone culvert on Belmont Branch St. Louis & Iron Mt. Railway - from south side of Route 72
Photo taken by Rusty Weisman in 2005
BH Photo #345107
The Belmont Branch of the St. Louis Iron Mountain Railway located on SW side of Route 72between Madison County Routes 210 and 208. This rail line opened in mid-August 1869, following completion of the Glen Allen tunnel (bridgehunter #BH 20878). The line was reorganized as the St Louis Iron Mountain and Southern Railway in 1874. It was acquired by Jay Gould in 1880 and was later incorporated into the MoPac system in 1917. The Belmont Branch was then abandoned in 1973.
A similar box culvert with stone slab lintels is located about .4 miles to the NW.
- Stone Slab Box Culvert over minor branch of Saline Creek on Missouri Pacific Railroad
- Madison County, Missouri
- Built 1869
- - Missouri Pacific Railroad (MP)
- St. Louis & Iron Mountain Railway (1869-1874) (StL&IM)
- St. Louis, Iron Mountain & Southern Railway (StLIM&S)
- Stone Box Culvert with stone lintel slab(s)
Length of largest span: 4.0 ft.
Total length: 20.0 ft.
Deck width: 16.0 ft.
- Also called
- StLIM&S - Saline Creek Tributary Stone Culvert
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +37.55442, -90.23267 (decimal degrees)
37°33'16" N, 90°13'58" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 15/744451/4159978 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- 820 ft. above sea level
- Inventory number
- BH 70458 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- January 5, 2016: Added by Rusty Weisman