No votes cast

Old US 61 Joachim Creek Bridge



Photo taken by James Baughn

Request this photo

BH Photo #105721


Street View 


Lost through truss bridge over Joachim Creek on Joachim Avenue (Old US 61/67) in Herculaneum
Jefferson County, Missouri
Replaced by UCEB
Built 1924; made obsolete by new bridge in 1933; closed to traffic Nov. 21, 2005; main span demolished Dec. 27, 2006; replaced by UCEB in 2007
- Vincennes Bridge Co. of Vincennes, Indiana (Contractor)
Riveted, 5-panel Pratt through truss
Length of largest span: 101.0 ft.
Total length: 252.9 ft.
Deck width: 20.3 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 13.8 ft.
Also called
Old US 67 Joachim Creek Bridge
Approximate latitude, longitude
+38.26328, -90.38507   (decimal degrees)
38°15'48" N, 90°23'06" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
15/728779/4238261 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Land survey
T. 41 N., R. 6 E., Sec. 29
Inventory numbers
MO 050-192500.1 (Missouri off-system bridge number)
MONBI 18612 (Missouri bridge number on the National Bridge Inventory)
BH 21758 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Update Log 

  • December 26, 2018: New Street View added by Dana and Kay Klein
  • January 8, 2007: Bill Haggard reports bridge has been demolished


Joachim Avenue Bridge
Posted August 17, 2009, by Mark Dellbringge

If you look at several camera views of this area on "maps (dot) live (dot) com" you can see a birds-eye view of the replacement Joachim Creek bridge, just be sure to adjust the camera direction.

Joachim Avenue Bridge
Posted January 22, 2008, by Bill Haggard (billh6300 [at] hotmail [dot] com)

On November 3, 2007, a new pre-cast beam bridge was dedicated and named the Austin-Hammond Memorial Bridge in honor of the two founders of Herculaneum, Moses Austin and Samuel Hammond. Construction began on the new bridge on January 4, 2007 and was completed on November 1, 2007. The bridge was constructed by Pace Construction of St. Louis, Missouri and was designed by EFK Moen Engineering of St. Louis. The main span length is 280 feet and the total length is 320 feet. The deck width is 36 feet.

Joachim Avenue Bridge
Posted October 28, 2007, by bill haggard (billh6300 [at] hotmail [dot] com)

The replacement bridge will be dedicated on Saturday, November 3, 2007. The bridge will be named the Moses Austin - Samuel Hammond Memorial Bridge in honor of the founders of the City of Herculaneum in 1808.

Joachim Avenue Bridge
Posted January 5, 2007, by Bill Haggard (billh6300 [at] hotmail [dot] com)

This bridge in Herculaneum was closed to all traffic on November 21, 2005. On December 18, 2006, the Spirtas Company began demolition process on the bridge. The bridge was "dropped" into the Joachim Creek on December 27, 2006. Only the north Joachim Avenue approach remained at that date. On January 2, 2007, the north Joachim Avenue portion of the bridge was removed.

Construction has begun on a new replacement bridge that is scheduled to be completed by Spring of 2007.