Chipman Road Tunnel
Photo taken by Clark Vance
BH Photo #200541
One of several 100+ year old bridges on the old Rock Island line that are in limbo while efforts are made to reactivate the line. Technically cities should not remove them since they are still owned by the RR. Practically, many of them impeded traffic 40+ years ago and have become almost intolerable with development of suburban areas. Lee's Summit recently installed a stop light(!) to control traffic passing through this structure wide enough for a single horse drawn wagon when it was built. If the rail line is eventually reactivated, cities will have to replace these in order to widen the roads but they don't want to go to that expense right now since they may get word the line has finally been abandoned, allowing them simply to remove the old structures. Either way, several bridges along this RR are at great risk once the status of this RR line is resolved. This one, since it is a great example of a rural crossing over a century old, should be preserved, perhaps as part of the parkway expanding towards it both from the Little Blue River to the north, and Cedar Creek.
- Unused closed-spandrel arch bridge over Chipman Road on Inactive Rock Island RR
- Lee's Summit, Jackson County, Missouri
- Rail line inactive
- Future prospects
- Future rail-to-trail
- Built ca. 1904
- - Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railroad (CRIP (1866-1920); RI (1920-1975) ROCK (1975-1980))
- Since this was built over a road with fill to raise the rail bed, this is more of a culvert or bridge than tunnel but that's the local name.
Span length: 15.0 ft.
Total length: 15.0 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 11.0 ft.
- Also called
- RI - Chipman Road Tunnel
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +38.92739, -94.43769 (decimal degrees)
38°55'39" N, 94°26'16" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 15/375378/4309701 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Lees Summit
- Land survey
- T. 47 N., R. 32 W., Sec. 3
- 810 ft. above sea level
- Inventory number
- BH 48880 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- October 12, 2016: New photos from John Marvig
- August 19, 2016: Updated by Kelly McClanahan: Added category "MO Rock Island Rail Trail"
- November 29, 2013: Updated by Clark Vance: Added category "Stoplight Controlled"
- August 27, 2012: New photo from Clark Vance
- August 10, 2012: Updated by Clark Vance: Added category "Railroad"
- August 1, 2012: Updated by Luke Harden: Removed category "Rail-to-trail"
- August 1, 2012: Updated by Max Johnson: Updated "status" and "future prospects"
- March 26, 2012: Updated by Daniel Hopkins: Added category "Rail-to-trail"
- March 23, 2012: Updated by Clark Vance: Added category "Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railroad"
- March 22, 2012: New Street View added by Clark Vance
- June 8, 2011: Added by Clark Vance
- Clark Vance - cvance [at] dogmail [dot] com
- John Marvig - marvigj27 [at] gmail [dot] com