The 8th Street Tunnel was first built in 1888 as a 1,100 ft. tunnel under downtown Kansas City Missouri, connecting the bluffs of the West Bottoms to 8th street and Delaware in downtown.
In 1903, the tunnel was enlarged, and expanded to a distance of 3,000 ft.
In 1962, the tunnel entrances were filled and capped with a vault, and the tunnel was abandoned.
In 1974, the tunnel was being researched for automobile use.
However, the tunnel was lost, and could not be found. It was lost until 2004, when two men of a survey team seen a metal object emerging from the ground. The two men, dug up the object and found it was the east vault to the tunnel.
The tunnel was opened and found to be intact, except for a caved in part under Interstate 35.
The tunnel was then sold to a private party, and now give tours of the tunnel in the summertime.