Rating:
No votes cast

Wabash Railroad Bridge #2239

Photos 

Wabash Railroad Bridge #2239

Image shows the bridge being dismantled in 1907. Henrie St. runs underneath this bridge.

Photographer unknown

License: Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike (CC BY-SA)

Enlarge

BH Photo #306251

Map 

Description 

The bridge was built in 1901 by a man named Livingston, who ran a connecting railway between the two railway stations (Wabash & MILW) in Excelsior Springs. The railroad ran a steam dummy locomotive & coach from the Wabash station, up Dunbar Avenue and crossing Henrie St at the location of the current concrete road bridge (see related bridge field). The little steam dummy continued up Dunbar Ave. to the MILW station, coasting back downgrade to the Wabash station when passenger/baggage transfer was complete. Livingston sold the small railway to the Wabash Railroad in 1902. The Wabash continued to operate the transfer until August 1907.

Facts 

Overview
Lost Timber stringer bridge over Henrie Street on Wabash Railroad
Location
Excelsior Springs, Clay County, Missouri
Status
Replaced by a new bridge
History
Bridge was originally constructed in 1901 to carry a steam dummy & coach from the Wabash depot to a connection at the MILW depot
Builder
- FNU Livingston
Railroad
- Wabash Railroad (WAB)
Design
Timber stringer
Approximate latitude, longitude
+39.34199, -94.22813   (decimal degrees)
39°20'31" N, 94°13'41" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
15/394166/4355447 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Excelsior Springs
Land survey
T. 52 N., R. 30 W., Sec. 1
Inventory number
BH 63848 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Update Log 

  • October 26, 2014: Added by James Holzmeier

Related Bridges 

Sources