CNW - Winona Swing Bridge
Photo taken by Jason Smith
BH Photo #177090
C&NW built its first bridge here in 1871; the swing span collapsed under load when a bridgetender failed to align the tracks properly upon closing it. It was promptly rebuilt. The swing span was replaced in 1899. The entire bridge was reconstructed by C&NW in 1928, replacing the through-truss approach spans with plate girder spans. It was abandoned and mostly demolished in 1977.
It also included an approach bridge over the North Channel, which actually crossed the state line. This North Channel bridge is still intact except for one span that has been removed.
- Lost through truss bridge over Mississippi River on Former Chicago & Northwestern Railway
- Winona, Winona County, Minnesota, and Buffalo County, Wisconsin
- Mostly Removed
- Built 1899, Approach Rebuilt 1928; abandoned and mostly removed 1977
- - Detroit Bridge & Iron Works of Detroit, Michigan
- - Chicago & North Western Railway (CNW)
- Pratt through truss
Length of largest span: 356.0 ft.
Total length: 2,735.0 ft. (0.5 mi.)
- Also called
- CNW - Mississippi River Bridge (Winona)
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +44.06201, -91.63594 (decimal degrees)
44°03'43" N, 91°38'09" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 15/609248/4879664 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Winona West
- Inventory number
- BH 46138 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- March 18, 2022: New photo from Geoff Hubbs
- October 30, 2021: New photos from Douglas Butler
- August 20, 2019: New photo from Melissa Brand-Welch
- January 9, 2018: New photo from Douglas Butler
- November 11, 2017: New Street View added by Dana and Kay Klein
- November 11, 2017: Updated by Luke: Correct build date back to 1928 as the 1871 bridge should have its own entry.
- November 11, 2017: Updated by Roger Deschner: Add description, historical photo, corrected build date to 1871
- February 7, 2016: Updated by Luke: Added builder
- August 27, 2015: New photos from John Marvig
- August 12, 2015: Updated by John Marvig: Added information
- May 2, 2013: Updated by Luke Harden: Added categories "Chicago & North Western Railway", "Navigable waterway"
- August 10, 2012: Updated by John Marvig: Added category "railroad"
- September 12, 2010: Added by Jason Smith